Director: Mr. Terrance Winston
Location: Bus Shop, Hwy 49 N, 196 M.K. Drive
Sunflower County Consolidated School District owns and operates its own transportation system.
In establishing the bus routes, it is our responsibility to schedule the safest and shortest route to and from the school building which your child attends. Assigned bus routes are those located closest to the student's home address. Please note the bus route number and stop on your child's transportation letter. You may choose a different stop to and from school as long as your child rides the bus route assigned in student’s transportation letter. We reserve the right to assign bus stops if necessary. Students will not be able to change bus routes.
Please contact the Transportation Department at 662-887-1502 with any questions or concerns.
BUS CAMERA BID PACKAGE
Click Here → Bus Camera Bid Package
Click ↓ for Trip Request
Bus Rider Information
School bus transportation is provided for students of SCCSD who:
- Live one (1) mile or more from the school they attend, free of charge.
Special Services Transportation
Transportation needs for students with disabilities are discussed at the student’s IEP meeting. If you have any concerns regarding transportation, please contact the student’s teacher, the building principal, or the Department of Special Services to arrange for an IEP meeting. Per State regulations, unauthorized riders are not allowed to ride a bus with a student. Only individuals who have been authorized by the District or the student’s IEP team may ride the bus. Therefore, parents or other individuals may not ride the bus with the students. Should a student with disabilities have special needs that require the bus driver’s knowledge, such information will be shared with the bus driver. The bus driver is held to a strict code of confidentiality, so the driver, therefore, cannot discuss any student’s personal information with anyone other than specified school personnel. If you have any questions or concerns regarding a student’s eligibility for transportation services, please contact the Department of Special Services at 662-884-1201.
School Bus Safety
A child’s clothing can be dangerous when getting off the school bus. Dangerous clothing that can get caught in handrails, doors, or other areas include jackets or sweatshirts with drawstrings, backpack straps and scarves or other loose clothing.
- Please talk with your children about these safety rules:
- Stay away from Danger Zones around the bus.
- If you drop something near the bus, don’t pick it up. The driver may not see you. Tell the driver and follow his/her instructions.
- Remember that motorists don’t always stop for the school bus. Use extreme caution when getting on or off the bus.
Bus Rider Safety Instructions
Please take a few minutes to review the following bus rider regulations. These regulations have been established to help ensure that all bus riders will travel between home and school under the safest conditions possible. A large part of the success we experience during the school year will depend upon your cooperation.
School bus riders, while in transit, are under the jurisdiction of the school bus driver unless the Board of Education designates another adult to supervise the riders.
- Stay off the road at all times while waiting for the bus.
- Be careful in approaching the place where the bus stops. Do not move toward the bus until the bus has been brought to a complete stop.
- Obey the lawful instructions of the bus driver.
- Remain seated and face forward while on the bus.
- Be alert to a danger signal from the driver.
- Remain in the bus in the event of a road emergency until instructions are given by the driver.
- Keep hands and head inside the bus at all times after entering and until leaving the bus. Do not throw anything out of the bus windows. Windows are only to be opened and closed by authorized personnel.
- Remember that loud talking and laughing or unnecessary confusion diverts the driver’s attention and could result in a serious accident. Therefore, refrain from making loud and/or distracting noises.
- Be absolutely quiet when approaching a railroad crossing stop.
- Treat bus equipment as you would valuable furniture in your own home. Never tamper with the bus or any of its equipment.
- Assist in keeping the bus safe and sanitary at all times.
- Carry no animals on the bus.
- Keep books, packages, coats and all other objects out of the aisles.
- Leave no books, lunches or other articles on the bus.
- Be courteous to fellow pupils and the bus driver; refrain from pushing, hitting, moving about, and annoying others.
- Help look after the safety and comfort of smaller children.
- Not ask the driver to stop at places other than the regular bus stops; the driver is not permitted to do this except by proper authorization from a school official.
- Observe safety precautions at the point of discharge. Where it is necessary to cross the street, proceed to the point at least 10 feet in front of the bus on the right shoulder of the street where traffic may be observed in both directions.
- Observe the same rules and regulations on other trips under school sponsorship as you observe between home and school. Respect the wishes of the chaperones appointed by the school.